Learn about Jericho HR Group
Meet our recruitment staff
See our open opportunities
Responsible for establishing and maintaining a smooth operation of the Transportation Department and helps provide 24-hr coverage. Provides general supervision of all transportation drivers and administrative staff. Primary responsibility is to make sure that all Teammates are on the job at the start of the shift or at the scheduled dispatch time. This position involves the planning, directing, and coordination of all delivery and backhaul activities, and must keep product moving smoothly, accurately, and efficiently.
• Report any accidents/unsafe conditions to the Senior Transportation Manager and Safety Manager.
• Responsible for compliance and knowledge with Federal Department of Transportation regulations and other safety standards. Maintain fleet in a safe manner in accordance with company and governmental standards.
• Keep all mistakes and waste to a minimum and check to make sure that routes are properly set up.
• Maintain effective and timely scheduling of Transportation Teammates, current week and following week schedules should always be posted with a working copy available by request for the next week.
• Facilitate communication within management team and between the Teammates and management.
• Provide training to maintain an efficient and knowledgeable workforce.
• Enforce company policies and issuance of coaching/disciplinary documentation to Teammates, final written warning and termination will be presented for approval to the Senior Transportation Manager and/or Human Resources Manager.
• Responsible for productivity data including but not limited to unload rates, routes, stops, and pieces; timely scheduling of all routes for “on-time” departures.
• Assist Senior Transportation Manager with research and development of new techniques/procedures to increase efficiency of any transportation operation.
• 3+ years of experience in all facets of outbound transportation, preferably in the food service industry.
• Have mainframe computer software knowledge related to record keeping. Preferred experience on AS 400 Mainframe, Excel, Microsoft Word, and Access programs; XATA, TRUCKS or similar programs.
• Be able to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and inter-company memos/outside correspondence.
• 2-3 years of accounting, planning, and analytical and/or reporting experience, in positions with increasing responsibility is preferred.
• Be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
• Understand financial statements and resulting cost implications.
• Knowledge of distribution systems including order routing.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
• Must be able to ascend and descend stairs and inclined surfaces (or something of this nature. They have to climb in and out of the truck on the ramp during route rides).
• The environment encompasses all areas of a Distribution Center.
• May require work in hot and cold temperature extremes and exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, noise, potentially harmful chemicals, solvents and components, and working in close proximity to other teammates.